Syracuse Orange College Checks

NHL and Buffalo Sabres Checks

Cheap Syracuse Bank Checks


Golden Snowball Totals for the 2010 - 2011 Snowfall Season
Updated  5/1/2011

GSB Cities This Season Normal Average
to Date
This Time Last Season Normal
 Seasons Average
All Time Season Snowfall Record
Syracuse 179.0 111.8 106.1 121.1 192.1 inches
( 1992 - 1993 )
Rochester 127.0 99.8 89.8 100.3 161.7 inches
( 1959 - 1960 )
Binghamton 117.5 80.8 81.4 81 134.0 inches
( 1995 - 1996 )
Buffalo 111.8 96.7 74.1 97 199.4 inches
( 1976 - 1977 )
Albany 87.2 62.6 45.4 62.6 112.5 inches
( 1970 - 1971 )

Order Cheap Personal Checks Online

Deals on Bowling Balls, Bowling Bags and Bowling Accessories

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Winter Storm Warnings for Golden Snowball Cities

7:30 pm Update - It looks like freezing rain has started her in the Syracuse area. Either that or it's freezing after it sits for awhile. Either way the car is just starting to get a light coat of ice on it. I'm out for awhile and will try to get an update in later tonight. Take it slow if your driving tonight.

Most if not all of the golden snowball cities are now under a winter storm warning for today and tonight. It's another one of those hard to call storms because of the track of the storm and because of how most of the storms this season have been so far, the temperatures. It comes down to if it stays cold enough at the ground level then is will be snow. If it doesn't stay cold enough then it will be a mix of #$&%&^$. It's that simple!

OK, it's really not that simple and after reading around a bit I am surprised to see how much the weather forecasters get slammed on their blogs for the way they forecast these storms. They take the weather tools they have and they do their best to predict what they think will happen. With storms like these it's often hard to predict until it's pretty much right on us. Eeeeks, I'm defending the forecasters? That should get me slammed a bit here. Hopefully not because like I said these types of storms can be hard for them to forecast.

As for the Storm warnings I was reading around and as of the wee hours of the morning freezing rain and a mix of everything else excluding the kitchen sink thank God, seems to be thrown in the forecast for today for most of the cities. Right now I'm a little concerned for Albany with the freezing rain amounts they mentioned and hopefully it doesn't happen. At last check they were saying a possibility of 1/2 to 1 inch of freezing rain which could definitely cause some problems with trees and power lines. Binghamton could be in the same situation and right now as I type there has been some heavy precipitation right around them. I'm not sure whether it's snow, rain or a mix though. Maybe Mike or one of the others from Binghamton will let us know what's going on their way. I suppose in reality the freezing rain could cause some problems for all of us.

Summing it up look for things to deteriorate as the day goes on if it's not already happening where you live. The warnings at first were going into tomorrow morning for most of the GSB cities but it looks like they brought them back for a few of us until later tonight but that could change as the day goes on. Click here for updated storm watches and warnings throughout the day and night.

Channel 9 online here in Syracuse always has a forum discussion going on about the weather which is worth checking out at http://community.9wsyr.com/blogs/weather_discussion/default.aspx A little bit of flaming goes on but they handle it good and when time permits they try to answer your questions there. They haven't been answering mine lately but that's most likely because I finally bored them to death with my lame questions :)

Because there are so many visitors from all over the the New York area I'm curious as to what your favorite sites are to get your local weather info from? I'm from the Syracuse are so I list a couple of mine every now and then and I just thought it would be fair to list some of the other cities weather sites on here.

Have a great day everyone and I'll try to post a few updates as the weather changes. Remember, See Snow - Drive Slow!!!

9 Comments:

At 3/4/08, 12:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love reading these reports. I live in San Antonio, TX now. Interesting to note is was warmer in Syracuse than South Texas yesterday afternoon. Can't wait to get back up to upstate this summer.

 
At 3/4/08, 3:13 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Anon, it was a nice change of pace here yesterday for sure. I think a few of our storms or should I say almost storms started out in Texas this season. To that I say thanks but we need you to send up some of that moisture along with some colder air ;)

I visited Texas many years ago with my folks when I was a kids. It was a fun vacation but the temps were over 100 degrees when we were there. Wayyy to hot for me. I had a lot of fun in Texas and we hit New Mexico and Mexico. The scenery was beautiful all around.

That said I think I am a New Yorker for life. There's no place like home :)

 
At 3/4/08, 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

patrick, frz rain all day here, now we are up to 32 with rain. we had about a quater inch of ice on trees and powerlines...nothing damaging. you should checkout wktvs blog...i dont want to be biased but i think it is way better than wsyrs...here is the link... http://www.wktv.com/weather/blogs

 
At 3/4/08, 10:39 PM , Blogger TheGeneral said...

weather is detoriating (spelling?) quickly here in Buffalo area. Power outages are starting to spread pretty quickly, got a good feeling I'm going out tonight, so stay safe everyone!

 
At 3/4/08, 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

portland maine reprtedly has received 90 inches of snow thus far this year... worth mentioning. I would imagine that manchester, nh is pretty close also. Both cities have metro populations > 100,000. I believe manchester's city pop is > 100k.

 
At 3/5/08, 2:07 AM , Blogger Patrick said...

General, I had a feeling about Buffalo for some reason today. Hopefully nothing to dramatic going on there. I do see a clearing coming your way but then some more precip but I don't know what form it is,

Mike, I'm very familiar with the Utica site you posted and I agree it is a good site with some good info on their blog. I visit it frequently to check out snow stats. A good site indeed. I'm glad there hasn't been any major problems in Bingo so far. I was reading earlier about some potential flooding there though for tomorrow. Hopefully nothing like has happened in the past.

Anon, thanks for the input and I'll check it out to see what the stats are from NOAA and also check out the pops for the cities. Thanks :)

Speaking of flooding, the side roads here on the way home tonight had quite a bit of water on them. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some watches around here for some of the local streams come tomorrow. So far here in the cuse area a little bit of freezing rain earlier but mostly just rain and quite a bit of it.

 
At 3/5/08, 10:12 AM , Blogger TheGeneral said...

Once again.... dissapointment...

another storm maybe shaping up for Friday into Saturday...

 
At 3/5/08, 10:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Syracuse has pulled away nicely and Buffalo is closing in on the ROC. Sorry I have been quiet; busy at work and then at night with the newborn. Off to Massachusetts for work tomorrow am and back late Friday night.

 
At 3/5/08, 10:45 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

ZR, what with Mass? Have plow will travel?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home