Syracuse Orange College Checks

NHL and Buffalo Sabres Checks

Cheap Syracuse Bank Checks


Golden Snowball Totals for the 2010 - 2011 Snowfall Season
Updated  5/1/2011

GSB Cities This Season Normal Average
to Date
This Time Last Season Normal
 Seasons Average
All Time Season Snowfall Record
Syracuse 179.0 111.8 106.1 121.1 192.1 inches
( 1992 - 1993 )
Rochester 127.0 99.8 89.8 100.3 161.7 inches
( 1959 - 1960 )
Binghamton 117.5 80.8 81.4 81 134.0 inches
( 1995 - 1996 )
Buffalo 111.8 96.7 74.1 97 199.4 inches
( 1976 - 1977 )
Albany 87.2 62.6 45.4 62.6 112.5 inches
( 1970 - 1971 )

Order Cheap Personal Checks Online

Deals on Bowling Balls, Bowling Bags and Bowling Accessories

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Syracuse Falls to Last Place

No, not for the seasonal snow totals but for the month. Yup, for the month of January Syracuse is in last place for snow totals which I find pretty interesting and if they don't get something going pretty soon they may also find themselves out of the lead for the Golden Snowball contest.

Here are the stats for the month of January and looking at them my guess is that Lake Erie is still alive and kicking. January snowfall so far:

Buffalo - 13.9
Rochester - 11.9
Albany - 7.2
Binghamton - 6.6
Syracuse - 4.2

After posting I was just reading around and noticed that Jim Teske a meteorologist from the WSYR Channel 9 news weather blog has some stats on Syracuse's January all time snow stats which is worth checking out at http://community.9wsyr.com/blogs/weather_discussion/archive/2008/01/24/2426474.aspx .

A visitor to the GSB site, Dick Stinneford from Virginia who was born in Buffalo and lived in Olean has sent a great map from the NOAA site of the icing on the lakes including lake Erie which shows what parts of the lake have frozen over already and how much is left unfrozen so far. Dick also pointed out what a difference a week makes which you can see by looking at the first map which is the most recent, from today and the second map of the Great Lakes which was from Jan 17th. Thanks for taking the time Dick, it's deeply appreciated ;) A question for the pros. Are the color codes the thickness of the ice ex. orange would be a thickness of 7 to 8 inch thickness and what does the 10 mean? EX; 7-8'/10.

Just Click Image to Enlarge
Jan 24th NOAA Lake Ice

January 17th Ice on Lakes



My guess is that Syracuse will start getting dumped on sometime soon. Here is why. I shoveled my tail off during the month of December while all of my kids were off at college. All 3 kids are back to college now after the Christmas break as of yesterday which is when my daughter went back to Suny Oswego. Number of times they had to shovel my driveway while on Christmas break? Zero!!! To sum this rant up there has been no snow to shovel when the kids were around but when they aren't around to help you can bet it will start snowing again. I think my daughters boyfriend Justin who also attends Oswego was a little surprised when I told him that as they drove back yesterday they will be entering a different world than they left behind here in snowless Syracuse and where he is from which is Norwich. Other than the winds which they are trying to get use to if they are lucky they will get to see the snow bands coming right at them. Their building has an awesome view of the lake from the top floor and they should be able to see the lake effect coming right at them.

Syracuse better watch their back because Rochester has slowly been inching their way towards the king of the snow hill top spot. Currently they are only 5.5 inches away from taking over the snow hill. I didn't think I would be saying this but don't count Buffalo out yet either. They have been picking up the pace the last several days and are only about a foot out of the lead. Until that lake freezes over we all better be worried about them. Binghamton and Albany aren't a threat yet but if the Nor Easter's continue they could mount a push to the top. In other words it's still a good race and any of the GSB cities could pull off an upset over DaCuse this year.



Have a great day all!

8 Comments:

At 1/24/08, 12:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to reiterate: The Snow God has been OFF for the last several weeks.

But the other day, I came home to find it had been almost knocked off the shelf by the cat. It was sort of hanging there. It should have fallen to the floor, but got caught on something on the way down.

This either means that the Snow God is dead... or else we're in for one hell of a vengeance-wreaking.

Just letting you know.

 
At 1/24/08, 1:21 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

NYCO, lets hope it's the second choice "one hell of a vengeance-wreaking" and the Snow God lives. Come on already plug the God in. We're looking at one of our least snowiest January's not to mention that the trophy is on the line. On the other hand if you plug in the Snow God most likely Syracuse will start to run away with the contest and it will get boring. Tough call left up to you ;)

The snow dance is coming soon but it might have to wait another day or two. I tried bowling a game over the weekend with the kids and well my back tells me I'm a fool for doing it :(

 
At 1/24/08, 7:09 PM , Blogger TheGeneral said...

oh patrick stop making up excuses, I'm back in town now and see my little dance before I left kept Buffalo running strong and still threatening a run for first.

So now it's time for our little contest. I'm calling you out for a snow-dance off Patrick! Just let me know when your ready so we can see who has the better snow calling ritual.

 
At 1/24/08, 8:23 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

General, First off welcome back ;) Second, I'm surprised Buffalo is still standing. I get a little nervous when a rookie tries something as complicated as a snow dance ;p

Let's shoot for Tuesday. That looks to be the warmest day in the forecast and by then my back should be good enough to all my effort into the dance. Too bad the snow dance has to be done in private because I think TV ratings week is coming up and it would be interested to see if we could out rank dancing with the stars, lol. No, I've never watched it and I don't know if it's still on.

So the challenge has been excepted!!! Ummm, NYCO, don't be afraid to plug in the snow god sometime soon ;) Normally after MY snow dance it only takes a few days to get the snow cranking. Sometimes sooner. We will have to see how it goes and remember only two dances can be performed a season otherwise Mother Nature gets ticked off.

 
At 1/24/08, 10:24 PM , Blogger TheGeneral said...

Patrick, Tuesday sounds good to me, only one condition, there must be snow on the ground for me to work with. If the snow pack is in danger of dissapearing I might have to get a day or two jump on you.

I'd say my snow calls have been pretty good so far this year.

Try one wrangeled up that huge thunderstorm line.

Try two lead to the best week long snowfall so far this year 7 out of 8 days it snowed with 17.9 inches at my location. Not a bad second attempt.

Eh who cares if mother nature gets ticked off, thats what we want her to do, burry us in snow so she dont have to see us! I'll take that!

 
At 1/25/08, 9:03 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it sure beats the downstate totals.

I think we've had a grand total of 3 inches for the entire season here in the city.

And to think, just 200 miles north in Boston they've already had 40. Remarkable.

 
At 1/25/08, 1:52 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Anon, I agree about remarkable. I checked almost every storm that came up the coast to see how the city did and was surprised to see nothing. Hang in there there is still a lot of snow season left and most likely more Nor Easters on the way ;)

 
At 1/25/08, 1:53 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

General, it's not nice to fool Mother Nature ;) I'll start warning people to stay away from Buffalo for the next week or so, lol.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home