Syracuse Orange College Checks

NHL and Buffalo Sabres Checks

Cheap Syracuse Bank Checks


Golden Snowball Totals for the 2010 - 2011 Snowfall Season
Updated  5/1/2011

GSB Cities This Season Normal Average
to Date
This Time Last Season Normal
 Seasons Average
All Time Season Snowfall Record
Syracuse 179.0 111.8 106.1 121.1 192.1 inches
( 1992 - 1993 )
Rochester 127.0 99.8 89.8 100.3 161.7 inches
( 1959 - 1960 )
Binghamton 117.5 80.8 81.4 81 134.0 inches
( 1995 - 1996 )
Buffalo 111.8 96.7 74.1 97 199.4 inches
( 1976 - 1977 )
Albany 87.2 62.6 45.4 62.6 112.5 inches
( 1970 - 1971 )

Order Cheap Personal Checks Online

Deals on Bowling Balls, Bowling Bags and Bowling Accessories

Friday, December 19, 2008

Should Schools Close for Snow or Early Release

First with a storm like todays storm I don't think I would want to be a Superintendent of any district in New York, having to make a choice whether to open up for a couple of hours and get school aid or to close. Nice run on sentence huh ;)

Our district (East Syracuse Minoa, ESM) decided to close which IMO was the right decision. I think it was just last week that most schools had a 2 hour delay and we only had an hour delay. Bad mistake because the roads were still covers and I watched out the window as a school bus had to slow down quickly as a car went off the road. In other words a 2 hour delay was the right decision and don't get me wrong. I think we have an AWESOME leader in our school district who is doing some great things and has in the past made the right moves like she did today.

I'm looking at the radar right now and the snow is knocking at our door in the Syracuse area which makes me wonder will all of the kids be home safe before the roads start to deteriorate? Some of the districts will have kids on the bus probably still at noon because they opened up only to let the kids go back home at 11:00 - 11:30. Most likely everything will go just fine with the early dismissals but I still think of the other day and what a difference just an hour can make when it comes to snow and snow storms. So I guess the question is should the schools take a chance and open for a couple of hours or should they just shut down and take a snow day? OK, enough rambling about that I suppose!

It's 10:30 and the light snow has just started here in DaCuse!

Another good question for the day is which city will make out with this storm? I don't see anyone taking the lead away from Syracuse with this snow storm but I can definitely see a change up in the line-up by the end of it. Buffalo, Rochester and Binghamton should all be having second place on their mind right now. I'll go with Binghamton winning this storm followed by Buffalo, Albany, Rochester and Syracuse in dead last this time. Any thoughts? Have a Super weekend All!

3 Comments:

At 12/19/08, 3:58 PM , Blogger Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I'm glad I don't have to make the call but I never hesitate to throw in my two cents as it can be much worse where I live than at the DO. There are a lot of factors that go into the decision. I'm sure that phones were ringing off the hook at both transportation departments and Superintendent's offices region wide today and people don't call unless they're unhappy! We opted to close early and I think it was the right decision, especially since we were able to make the announcement before we even picked the kids up. We only have 5 snow days to play with and I'd rather not run out. Of course I'd prefer not to drive the kids in bad weather but this being CNY it's unavoidable.

 
At 12/19/08, 8:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

11.5" at my house in the ROC, but only 7.2" at the airport. It was a long drive home from Tug Hill today.

 
At 12/19/08, 11:27 PM , Blogger Patrick said...

Apple, I hear Ya about how hard making the call. It's nice to hear from someone in the drivers seat :) and good to hear that the kids didn't even have to get on the bus this morning. I know several districts that let out at 11:30 had to have had kids on the way home from school today when the roads were getting a little nasty. One thing that kind of stinks is just having a certain amt of snow days to play around with.

ZR800, 11.5 is about what my son measured while shoveling. I don't think the airport will come up with what we got at my house either. A couple more fell since then. All in all this was an awesome snowfall IMO with heavy snow and some gusty winds. Of course driving in it wasn't a lot of fun but I didn't have to go far. The numbers could be interesting tomorrow ;) One sound I love after a storm like this is the sleds flying down the roads. Unfortunately sometimes the other sound is the siren on a police car following them, lol. Fields aren't too far down the road so my bet is that the sleds win most of the time.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home